Website Kicking Horse Coffee
Wake Up & Kick Ass
Your daily mission: Make sure our Roasting Operators have everything they need to roast the best coffee in the world, before they know they need it.
Who Are We?
We roast Canada’s #1 whole bean coffee. Our Arabica beans are 100% certified Organic and Fairtrade. We’ve been doing this for over 26 years, smack dab in the middle of the Rocky Mountains.
And our coffee beans aren’t the only ones winning awards around here. Our human beans kick ass too! Kicking Horse Coffee has been a certified Great Place to Work® since 2015. In 2018, we were named the #1 Best Workplace in Canada. Whoa! We believe creating a workplace that offers great careers and access to an exceptional lifestyle. It’s why we’ve made a commitment to become a living wage employer.
The spirit of Kicking Horse Coffee can be summed up in five words: awake, courageous, intentional, sophisticated, and love, yep, love. These are the values at our core, the foundation of our culture.
Who Are You?
You are organized, adaptable, and full to the brim with a “buck, yeah!” attitude. When it comes to anticipating next steps, you are on a whollllle other level. Not only do you know what needs to get done, but you are skilled for making it happen quickly, right before its full on go-time. All that is to say: you get er’ done. Along with being an expert at making our coffee dreams come true, you’re also one helluva team member. You thrive in a collaborative environment and love working alongside some of the best people on the planet.
What Will You Do?
You will make sure your crew has everything they need to roast the best coffee there is. Working as a team, you will pull, move, stack, and load green coffee into the roasting hoppers for production. You will set up the roasting room, clean equipment, and provide coverage for other team members as needed. You will take care in transporting our beans between our roasting room and packaging machines, ensuring no bean is left behind. To get specific, this role will be responsible for the following:
- Express care of each and every bean in the facility. Our coffee passes through many hands and travels long ways to get to us, and we make sure all beans are handled with care and respect.
- Calculate our green bean needs daily, accurately, speedily, right down to the recipe. From there, manually load green beans into roasting hoppers, following a precise bean recipe.
- Safely transport coffee beans throughout our facility, via forklift.
- Follow our departmental checklists and standard operating procedures to ensure we are consistently producing kick ass work.
- Operate our Rotary Batch Mixer to create Post Roast Blends.
- Enter and track detailed records of coffee information and recipes into our ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning System)
- Participate and engage in Roasting Department staff meetings. Recommend areas of improvement, bring ideas, and seek connection with the team.
- Clean and maintain our roasting equipment, ensuring it is operating as smoothly and safely as possible! This includes hoppers, pipes, de-stoners, bins, etc.
- Join our team in brewing and flavour evaluation.
- Provide Roasting Staging and Roaster relief coverage when needed, teamwork makes the dream work!
- Previous experience working in a production environment, with a focus on supporting your team through cleaning and staging is an asset!
- An ability and desire to work cross-functionally to support all production departments.
- You have a narrow forklift operator certificate or are willing to be trained and obtain one.
- Physical ability to lift up to 25-50lbs, with help from our team and green bean tech!
- Legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Buck Yeah Attitude: You have a genuine, professional, and fun disposition, with a positive, “mug half full” outlook on life.
- Passion for Coffee: You’ve got a desire to learn and develop new skills in the world of coffee. You love a good cup of joe and are keen to see what is involved from green beans all the way to roasting machine.
- Supportive Nature: You love to support those around you and have a knack for understanding what to do next. You love to lend a hand and contribute to a collaborative team.
- Adaptive: You respond to change with a positive attitude, speed, and efficiency. You are innovative and roll with the punches.
- Detail Oriented: You have a strong attention to detail and value accuracy; you admire and strive towards a high standard for quality.
- Communicator & Connector: You have exceptional interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Get er’ Done Approach: Excellent time management skills combined with a strong sense of urgency.
- This is a full-time, permanent position in our Roasting department.
- We work eight hours a day, Monday to Friday. Shift times can fluctuate depending on production demand, which means that start times can vary between 6:00 am and 1:00 pm.
How to Apply
To apply to this position, please email us your resume and let us know what makes you want to wake up and kick ass with us! We will be accepting applications until a kick ass candidate is found.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.